Saturday 27 September 2014

Garmin Zumo 590LM install and my PDM60

I managed to get the Zumo 590LM mounted on my BMW K1300S.

I also finally installed a PDM60 power distribution module to, obviously, distribute power to my (currently only one) accessory.

The PDM60 is a pretty neat little bit of kit; (up to) 60A of switched power, completely solid state, across 6 power feeds.  There is a little pseudo-rs232 (I suspect) on the back of it, allowing you to program the ports for max amps and the hows and whens that they get powered, using their dashboard software.  No fuses; if you trip a circuit, you just need to reset the PDM60 by turning your bike off and back on again.
  • Note, their PDM60 cable is actually a USB-serial adapter, so you need to hit file/options, select the PDM60 cable, then pick the com port.
The PDM60 is best served when powered directly from the battery.  It has three options (or a mix therein) for powering each accessory lead; ignition trigger, external switch trigger, or always powered.

By default, the PDM60 needs the ignition trigger, essentially just something that gets 12v applied when the bike is started.  On the K1300S, this was pretty simple; there is a CAN bus accessory plug just behind the steering yolk under the battery cover.  I bought the BMW CAN bus plug (BMW part number 611656), and tied the PDM60's ignition trigger wire into wire 3 (12v).  I did not connect the other two CAN bus plug wires to anything.

The space under the K1300S fairings is a bit tight.  I chose to mount it on the right side, as that's the "up" side when on the kickstand, giving better visibility, etc.  This may bite me in the butt later, as that may also be the "hot" side, but we'll see.

There is a small visible area between the upper and lower fairings, near where my right knee would be.  This is where I stuck the PDM60.  I had to cut away some of the PDM60's housing to make it fit. 


I ended up routing the PDM60 wires a bit forward, then under and around the air inlet.  This brought the wires up right head of the positive battery terminal.

The PDM60 has a 7 second delay after ignition before it powers its accessories by default.  It also keeps your items powered for 60 seconds after you turn off your bike, by default.

I now have a couple more electrical things to wire to the PDM60, including my Bags-Connection electrified tank bag, and perhaps a dedicated USB plug for either my phone mount or my Garmin VIRB Elite camera.  I'll get around to that some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment